Features incorporated in the Department of Financial Services website to make it accessible are:
- Skip to Main Content: Quick access to the core content on the page is provided without going through repetitive navigation using the keyboard.
- Accessibility Options:Options to change the text size and contrast scheme are provided.
- Descriptive Link Text: Brief description of a link is provided using descriptive phrases instead of just using words such as 'Read more' and 'Click here' as link text. Further, if a link opens a Website in a new window, the description specifies the same.
- Identification of file type and file size: Information about alternate file types, such as PDF, Word, Excel along with the file size has been provided within the link text to help users identify the same. In addition, icons for different file types have been provided with the links. This helps users in deciding whether they wish to access the link. For example, if a link opens a PDF file, the link text specifies its file size and file type.
- Table Headers: The table headings are marked and associated with their corresponding cells in each row. This enables a screen reader to read out the column and row header of any cell for the user.
- Headings: The Web page content is organized using appropriate headings and subheadings that provide a readable structure. H1 indicates the main heading, whereas H2 indicates a subheading.
- Titles: An appropriate name for each Web page is specified that helps you to understand the page content easily.
- Consistent Navigation Mechanism: Consistent means of navigation and style of presentation throughout the Website has been incorporated.
- Keyboard Support: The website can be browsed using a keyboard by pressing the Tab and Shift + Tab keys.
- Customized Text Size: The size of the text on the Web pages can be changed either through the browser, through the Accessibility Options page or by clicking on the text sizing icons present at the top of each page
- Adjust contrast scheme: The website provides two schemes to enable users with visual impairments, such as low vision and colorblindness to view the web page information with ease. Standard and High contrast schemes are provided as icons at the top of each web page and are available on Accessibility Options page.